Now your spouse can work in Canada while their sponsorship application is being processed. here’s how


If you have moved to Canada and are now considering sponsoring your partner, the first question that comes to mind is: can they work in the country while their sponsorship application is being processed? The answer is yes, but the rules and requirements are different from those of a person who has already been granted permanent residence (PR).

What are the rules and conditions?

If your partner is eager to get a job while their sponsorship application is being processed, the first thing they should apply for is an open work permit

What is an open work permit?

An open work permit is one of many types of work permits that allow foreign workers to work legally in Canada. It allows foreign nationals to work in Canada for a number of employers in various locations. It also gives them freedom of movement between employers, occupations, workplaces or locations in Canada, CIC News reported.

The eligibility requirements and the application procedure differ depending on each individual’s specific situation.

It should be noted here that the applicant should wait to apply for a job until he receives the open work permit.

Eligibility Criteria for Open Work Application:

  • Spousal/common-law partner sponsorship application for permanent residence is submitted.
  • Applicant and Sponsor must reside at the same address.
  • The applicant must have valid temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker.
  • The applicant and sponsor must meet all of the eligibility criteria for spousal/common-law partner sponsorship.

How do we apply for an open spousal work permit?

One can apply for an open work permit regardless of your partner’s status, whether your spouse has already applied for permanent residence or has not yet.

If your spouse or partner has not yet applied for permanent residence, you can mail all applications (sponsorship, permanent residence and open work permit) in one envelope to the Case Processing Center in Mississauga, Ontario, according to the CIC article.

If your spouse or partner has or has not already applied for permanent residence, once they have done so, they must wait to receive their acknowledgment of receipt. Once this is received, they can apply for an open work permit, which must be done online.

Catch all the trade news, market news, breaking news and latest updates on Live Mint. Download the Mint News app to get daily market updates.

More less

To subscribe to Mint Bulletins

* Enter a valid email

* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.


About Author

Comments are closed.