Generator fire damages exterior of Clintons’ home

0

Generator fire damages exterior of Clintons’ home

No one was injured in a house fire caused by a generator Monday near Clinton.

No one was injured in a house fire caused by a generator Monday near Clinton.

South Whidbey Fire/EMS arrived at the Twilight Lane Residence around 11:42 a.m. on Feb. 21, according to Deputy Chief Terry Ney.

The fire was reported by a neighbour, who heard crackling and saw a column of smoke billowing from the house. The resident was inside but did not see, hear or smell the fire, which was contained outside the structure.

A total of 15 people responded to the fire and remained at the scene for two hours, Ney said. A generator a few inches from the side of the house, which was in use during the power outage, was found to be the cause of the fire.

Ney said it’s unclear if the generator malfunctioned and caught fire first, or if it was just too close and the heat ignited on the vinyl siding. It is more likely that the generator burned through the siding of the house first before igniting itself.

The flames spread up a two-story wall of the house, into the soffit and laterally along another wall.

“It penetrated the old wood siding under the vinyl, as well as some structural elements at the front of the house, so we had to do a lot of things overall, including stripping a lot of siding to get through to unburned wood,” Ney said in an email.

The fire did not spread inside the house, although firefighters ventilated the interior of the house for its residents.

The estimate of losses is unknown at this time. There was no loss of contents except for the generator which ignited.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.