KENDALLVILLE – Parkview Foundations is now accepting applications for the Karen Denney Nursing Scholarship. Applications are now available and will be accepted until February 25.
This funding opportunity is made possible thanks to the generosity of donors and their willingness to support students wishing to continue their studies.
The Karen Denney Nursing Scholarship provides up to $1,000 in scholarships to a high school student who best meets the stated qualifications and career aspiration requirements. Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for the scholarship:
• Be a senior high school student preparing to enter an accredited nursing education program with the goal of completing an RN (registered nurse) program.
• Currently attending or has completed the Impact Institute Health Professions Education Program at Parkview Noble Hospital or Parkview LaGrange Hospital.
• Have a “B” average or better. Extracurricular and volunteer activities will also be considered.
• Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher, employer, church or community leader, after-school coach or mentor.
• Submit an official high school transcript showing first semester or first trimester grades of senior year.
Karen Denney, the scholarship’s namesake, was a caring and compassionate nurse who dedicated her 35-year career to patients at McCray Memorial Hospital and Parkview Noble Hospital.
During her career, Denney served as director of the department of obstetrics – now the Family Birthing Center – for more than 25 years. In addition, she was an infection control and employee health nurse, and worked in several other departments.
She was an inspiration to many who worked with her, showing an uncommon love for nursing and the patients she treated.
Denney was instrumental in launching the Health Professions Education Program. Run by Impact Institute, this one-year program introduces high school students to the healthcare field and prepares them for careers in healthcare, including nursing.
The scholarship application can be accessed here in the Parkview Foundations section of parkview.com. Applicants who have questions regarding the scholarship or the application process can email [email protected]