BISMARCK, ND — The North Dakota Department of Commerce today announced that the pre-application period for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program is now open through August 1.
The CDBG program provides financial assistance to eligible local government units in the form of grants and loans for public amenities, utilities, housing rehabilitation, and economic development projects.
“Over the years, CDBG has proven to be a critical tool in building resilience for residents and businesses in all communities across North Dakota,” said Tonya Forderer, Commerce Community Services CDBG program manager.
The primary beneficiaries of CDBG-funded projects must be very low-income and low-income people. Here are some examples of projects funded by the CDBG:
• Housing – rehabilitation of housing for very low and low income homeowners and rental housing in a particular area.
• Public facilities – water and sewer projects, removal of architectural barriers, fire stations, ambulances, etc.
• Economic Development – cities and counties receive funds to loan and/or subsidize businesses that create jobs for low-income people.
Eligible projects must also be consistent with at least one of the program’s national objectives:
• Benefit low and middle income people.
• Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums or the plague.
All nominations must be submitted via email to [email protected] by 5:00 p.m. CT on August 1. Please note that Economic Development pre-applications do not follow the same guidelines and can be submitted anytime between July 1, 2022 and June 15, 2023. Details on dollar amounts, eligible projects, etc. can be found in the CDBG 2022 program distribution statement.
For any other questions, please contact the representative for your region. A list of regions is available at belegendary.link/Regional-councils.